Code of Conduct - The Long Version
MeetupMixup (MuMu) Sydney is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all MeetupMixup Sydney venues and spaces, including public channels, private channels and direct messages, both online and off.
Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the organizers.
Some MeetupMixup Sydney spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, preferred operating system, programming language, or text editor
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
MeetupMixup Sydney prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The organizers will not act on complaints regarding:
- “Reverse”-isms, including “reverse racism,” “reverse sexism,” and “cisphobia”
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a “tone” you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of MeetupMixup Sydney, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact any of the organizers in person
This code of conduct applies to MeetupMixup Sydney spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of MeetupMixup Sydney outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by MeetupMixup Sydney members, especially the organizers, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The organizers reserve the right to exclude people from MeetupMixup Sydney based on their past behavior, including behavior outside MeetupMixup Sydney spaces and behavior towards people who are not in MeetupMixup Sydney.
In order to protect organizers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of MeetupMixup Sydney members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all MeetupMixup Sydney spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other MeetupMixup Sydney members or the general public.
This Code of Conduct is a rework of the Code of Conduct from http://witchat.github.io/.
Changes to the Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct may change from time to time, and the most recent version will be available on this page.